[Mobile Monday Bangalore] {Spam?} Re: prepay vs. postpaid

Rajiv
Fri Sep 29 16:24:23 IST 2006

The prepaid segment has the stigma of "cost concious" attached to them it seems. I would couter that but. From my personal perspective prepaid is much more easier to use especially after they have enabled recharge through internet banking (does not work for Airtel but!). One of the most annoying part of postpaid is the deopsists they require, for STD calls to landline, roaming etc. Although I understood their logic that I could just run away and dissapear without trace after raking up huge bills, I couldnt digest the fact that I am being viewed as a potential "theif".

The only downside is the customer service I guess. But that hardly counts in India.

-Rajiv.

----- Original Message ----
From: PrithiJ preethij at thehindu.co.in>
To: Rajiv rajiv_poddar at yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, 28 September, 2006 2:18:34 PM
Subject: RE: [Mobile Monday Bangalore] prepay vs. postpaid

Churn is not seen of much importance in the prepaid segment, I guess the
operators expect it. Will get u the exact % of churn in a short while.
Prepaid is adopted largely in the rural areas & by the teen market. Which
are 2 huge pools. Basically because its at a lower price and Indians are
v.price conscious and like to be in control of their expenses.
Postpaid users, on the other hand, are mostly urban - but give more revenue
to the operator. Hence, when they leave, it makes a huge difference. Even if
the postpaid customers form only 30% of the total, they are the pampered
ones.