[Mobile Monday Bangalore] [MoMoBangalore] Re: FW: MoMo Sept

Rajiv
Fri Sep 29 15:59:26 IST 2006

I would take this a step forward. The ULCH handsets (or rather the EMH program) are more about creating a sustainable ecosystem of mobile phones services the BoP markets.  Its about language, customization, cost, total cost of ownership (ARPU), innovation, value chain, service coverage, quality of service, everything in fact.

To think about it, its startling that around 75% of the people do not actually use the GSM network. There are multiple barriers to entry but nobody really has a definitive answer. It might be the cost, or it might be the cost of service or customizability, or value added services. From that perspective the cost of the handset is a good start and the easiest problem to tackle.

I dont know how many people saw the moive Dor but there was a funny scene in there. The villagers used a mobile PCO service where they were given a handset, then they used to get on to a higher ground (for better service i guess) and then talk. Maybe that is really illustrative of the services that people in rural india need today. :)

-Rajiv.

----- Original Message ----
From: Sunil Maheshwari maheshwari.sunil at gmail.com>
To: Vijay S Anand vijaysanand2002 at yahoo.com>
Cc: MoMoBangalore at yahoogroups.com; Thiyagarajan thiyagarajan at gmail.com>; bangalore at mobilemonday.in; rpoddar at gmail.com
Sent: Friday, 29 September, 2006 12:42:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Mobile Monday Bangalore] [MoMoBangalore] Re: FW: MoMo Sept

            Low cost handset is not just about bringing down the cost but at the
same time you need to add flexibility, more features at the same cost.
India is adding close to 40M subscriber every year and you can't
fulfill that demand just by second hand handsets.

Projection for sub 1000RS. phones for Indian market is around 150-180M
handset by 2008 and there is a very thin line between low cost and
entry level handset. Chipset vendors are already shipping GSM modules
around 5$.

I know people are talking about downloadable local language fonts then
why can't we have embedded fonts in the device? Reliance has already
done it for their low cost LG/Samsung phones, so I do see feasibility
here in localization.

Regards,

Sunil