[MoMoBangalore] Mobile Internet Access?

Samir Kumar
Thu Oct 11 21:19:16 IST 2007

I started using GPRS on my Pocket PC since May 2004 (seem to have been
among the early ones - even the Airtel tech guys were not very sure what
needed to be done then!). From those days of GPRS conking off for more
than a few hours every day, to today, when connectivity is pretty much
taken for granted, things have come a long way.

Access to Internet does not always have to be browsing. Email is one of
the biggest internet applications, and my belief is that a lot of people
will use email through mobile devices. Earlier, whenever I traveled, my
notebook was carried with me only for email. Today, more often than not,
I carry only my Pocket PC, leaving my notebook behind, even if I am gone
for 5-6 days. Connectivity, even in the US, is pretty easy, download
speeds are good, and readability, too, is good on my Pocket PC.

While browsing still needs a lot to be desired  - I think we will see
the emergence of mobile specific sites, that are minimalistic on
graphics, and hence download fast.

And as many people have said, while no one can forecast the future
accurately, I am very optimistic about the future of mobile internet
access.

With regards,

Samir Kumar

Message: 3