[MoMoBangalore] Sending SMS which has unicode text

Chintan Shah
Tue May 15 14:16:05 IST 2007

Hi Mahesh,

Unicode is either 8 / 16 / 32 bit data. Typically SMSC / MSSC treats SMS
over its networks as 7-bit data (US-ASCII Range). To send other modes of
data, SMS payload should specify its a binary message and hence SMSC / MSSC
*should *treat it accordingly, otherwise as part of Store & Forward, it may
mess up the payload.

Different ways of doing it:
a) Input your SMS in UCS-2 format. Convert it into corresponding 7-bit data
(UCS -> UTF-7 / UCS to B64 encoding)
and send across the network. At terminating end, reverse the conversion and
you receive UCS-2 payload to be displayed.
b). Send message in binary (Unicode format) informing native SMS Sender; it
as a binary message and wish network sends it without messing up to
terminating end. *We have faced couple of problems in this way of doing it.*

I hope its helpful to you.

--
Regards,
Chintan Shah