[MoMoBangalore] Mobile, GSM Modem, SMS gateway

Ujjwal Singh
Fri May 4 18:14:31 IST 2007

Hi,

 http://www.x11.net/wiki/index.php/Setting_up_an_SMS_Gateway
gives an idea how to set up an SMS gateway using a GSM phone as a gateway. I
think this is the cheapest option available.
required software : gnokii-smsd on debian (http://www.kannel.org/ is
another)
Add to the phone one of those 10000 SMS at 30Rs cards like Sunils example
and you have a very cheap make shift SMS gateway ready with you.  The
tutorial uses Nokia 5110 or 6110 series.  Nokia 3110, 3810, 8110, 8110i can
also be used.
Some technique for using 2-3 phones to balance loads has to be thought of.
This would allow maintenance time  as well (charging etc).

Sincerely
Ujjwal
Grid Lab
DA-IICT http://www.daiict.ac.in>

PS: I have not tried this. Could not find a cheap cable to connect to the
phone.

--
mutiny in diversity