[MoMoBangalore] Bulk SMS providers in India -- what is the real mystery?

Gautam Saha
Wed Sep 3 02:41:23 IST 2008

Hey -K,

You are very right in anticipating that there are very few 'backend' people
having direct interaction with operators SMSCs.

The reason behind this is not a techincal but business decision I feel.It
does not take much to implement a server interpreting/talking to an
SMSC.There are already opensource stacks like Kannel available for such
routines.To maintain a server and give quality service would not only
require good technical support team and infrastructure but also good and
expensive admin services.

All these put together,the cost scales to considerable number.Also,bulk SMS
service is a high volume but low profit service,hence it becomes too much
for too less.

Anymore input/arguments are welcome.

Regards,
Gautam Saha